David Morris (1937-2018) was born in Knaresborough and studied painting and printmaking at Harrogate School of Art, continuing his studies in painting and sculpture at the Slade in 1959. After graduating he began part-time teaching the foundation course at Bradford College of Art. In 1963 he was employed as the full-time printmaking teacher at Harrogate College of Art.
Once David had retired from teaching he concentrated on his own work as a painter and printmaker. Etching was his preferred method, particularly aquatint. The North Yorkshire coast and landscape provided much of his subject matter. In 2012 David’s work was purchased by the House of Lords.